Astronomy Weather Reports for
iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini & iPod touch
SKY & TELESCOPE HOT PRODUCT 2013
Scope Nights is a dedicated astronomy weather forecast written by an astronomer for astronomers. It provides accurate astronomy weather reports for anywhere in the world, using a combination of national and global weather forecasts to compile detailed 3 hourly and 6 hourly astronomy weather ratings up to 10 nights ahead. The weather is generally considered to be the biggest hindrance to astronomy, so using Scope Nights to easily see at a glance if it’s worth setting up your telescope is an essential step in preparing for your observing session.
Many astronomy and weather apps are either very complicated and don’t offer a stargazing forecast, or if they do then it’s usually too basic and inaccurate. Therefore Scope Nights was designed to specialise in stargazing weather only. Scope Nights is designed to be intuitive, quick and easy, showing nightly stargazing summaries at a glance using simple ratings and realistic weather icons, yet also designed with advanced customisations so the forecast can be tailored to meet the observing requirements of the most dedicated astronomers.
• Local weather forecasts updated hourly for USA & UK direct from NOAA and Met Office. Worldwide weather forecasts derived from the European numerical forecast model, renowned worldwide as providing the most accurate medium-range global weather forecasts
• 3-hourly and 6-hourly forecast details showing colour coded values for humidity, minimum temperature in °C or °F and overnight wind speed and direction in mph, knots, kph or mps
• Shows at a glance which nights will be most suitable for stargazing using smart weather analysis to create astronomy ratings. Colour coded summary charts for each night gives quick overview of detailed ratings through the night, including sunrise and sunset times and moon phase
• Filters weather data only showing forecasts from sunset to sunrise, then analyses weather, cloud cover, wind, humidity and temperature to create astronomy weather ratings using weighted algorithms
• Threshold adjustments for wind, temperature and humidity to suit your observing requirements,
• Automatically finds astronomy weather forecasts for your current location
• Search for astronomy weather forecasts for any location worldwide
I am an early adopter of this app and it is well worth the small price of admission if you are a serious amateur astronomer. By that, I mean someone who uses their telescope regularly and is always looking forward to the next star party or solo outing. Since I started using the app, it has never been wrong! I find that pretty cool and it has saved me from many would be miserable trips that would have been a complete waste of time packing, driving and unpacking, all for nothing. Great app Martin! Send him your feedback or suggestions. Martin always answers pretty fast and is genuinely appreciative of any ideas for the app.
This is the most useful amateur astro app I’ve found yet. Using location (either manually entered or acquired from location services) it acquires relevant weather forecast information, which it analyzes to determine those qualities relevant for astronomical observing over the following 10 day period. The information is provided in detail or via a fever chart (green/amber/red) for the three most important qualities identified: temp, relative humidity, & cloud cover during the dark hours. Fever chart thresholds are customizable. The exceptionally well written and complete documentation provides excellent guidance for customizing for your equipment (e.g. dew zapper, dew shield, no dew mitigation aid). The UI is very clean and easy to use. This app gets my highest recommendation!
Lee Finn, USA